Full-Time Corporate Food Safety & QA Manager
A great job-and a great future-awaits you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and hog producer, we’re a $16-billion global food company with more than 63,000 employees worldwide. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us. Join our family today. Apply Now!
Our team members receive industry-competitive salaries and are eligible for great benefits packages:
· Competitive Pay: $104,000 – $173,000 annually
· Annual Bonus Earning Potential
· Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
· Education benefit available to full and part time Smithfield team members on their first day of employment.
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Corporate Food Safety Quality Assurance Manager – Supplier/Customer Compliance is accountable for leading a team of individuals responsible for managing Smithfield’s co-manufacturing, vendor/supplier facilities to ensure compliance with Food Safety, Quality Assurance, and Regulatory standards. They will work to ensure Smithfield Policies, Programs, Customer requirements, and specifications are adhered to in relationship to the Vendors/Suppliers and our customers. The individual in this position will work very closely with multiple departments including R&D, Co-packer Business Management, and departmental Business Management to ensure the Suppliers/Vendors are producing high quality products that meet our expectations while maintaining compliance with USDA/other applicable regulations, as well as company policies and procedures. This position will provide solid leadership to achieve company, plant, and department goals through various management, evaluation and improvement skills and strategies that improve overall quality and profitability.
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Lead the Supplier Compliance team members in coordination of performing audits of food safety and quality systems of new and existing co-packers at their facilities or virtually.
- Properly resolve incidents including corrective actions and preventative actions due to audit findings, field issues or poor copacker performance. This may include enhanced visits and alignment with the Business Management team to ensure corrective actions are effective and sustained.
- Focuses on continuous improvement of product quality through the development of quality plans, process controls, attention to process details, specifications, quality training, and addressing field complaints.
- Determines the appropriate level of Smithfield Management interaction required for various co-packers, vendors, and suppliers through risk-based assessments.
- Possess a working knowledge of document management systems and customer portals to ensure the team is managing the information required in portals for our customers as well as our own portal for our suppliers.
- Provide FSQA guidance and resources to auxiliary and specialty business areas when needed, including on-site visits to review their facilities, programs, and processes.
- Auxiliary and specialty business areas may include the Pet Food Business Team, Rendering Operations, Biosciences and the DSD team.
- Understand and provide subject matter expertise to the FSQA department in the Rendering and Pet Food divisions to ensure the team has the resources for their FS Plans to ensure they are scientifically defendable and FDA compliant.
- Provide training, as needed, to the Food Safety and Quality Assurance staff, thus ensuring the highest standard of practices are met. Provide support, as necessary, for the facilities during customer audits or regulatory assessments in the customer compliance, rendering or pet food business areas.
- Research and monitor emerging industry issues by reviewing the internet; published scientific documents and attending workshops. Identify and implement cost effective, scientifically supportable solutions, thus mitigating the negative impact of an emerging industry problem.
- Using scientific principles, this role analyzes, interprets and evaluates in-process analytical data and author/develop recommended system improvements which are cost effective and scientifically supportable. Data analysis will be performed on a continuous basis to ensure potential trending is identified and to assist Operations in troubleshooting problematic systems or departments etc.
- Provide functional leadership to support department and plant objectives.
- Drive continuous improvement methodologies to instill a proactive culture within the different facilities.
- Manages and effectively follows up on multiple projects and assignments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from an accredited four-year college or university and 5+ years’ experience in the food industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Relevant experience with government regulatory requirements in food processing (USDA, FDA, etc) is required.
- Previous multi-site responsibility and perishable experience a plus.
- Management capacity within a manufacturing environment under USDA, preferred.
- Proficiency in food manufacturing processes, quality assurance principles, food science and meat processing, SPC and statistics.
- Demonstrated experience using a full range of continuous improvement tools and fundamentals to drive results.
- Ability to document expertise in design & execution of Quality/technical work.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office, Inventory software, Manufacturing software and SAP.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to uphold regulatory, company, and customer standards.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Must be able to travel up to 70% of the time. Travel will be primarily to our process facilities but will also involve occasional meetings with customers, sales, or professional meetings.
- Must have the ability to complete required applicable forms in English, which requires the ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the job incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of duties and responsibilities or employees assigned to this job. Incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment selection process, please call us at 757-357-1595.
Name of company seeking application: Smithfield Foods
Company contact name: Karen Overton
Company contact email address: [email protected]
How to ApplyView job details and apply online at: https://smithfieldfoods.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers/job/Smithfield-VA/Corporate-Food-Safety---QA-Manager_R-2024-238-1
123 total views, 2 today